PrairieCat is the library online catalog. It lists the materials owned by all the libraries in the region. It can be used to locate materials, place holds on materials from any library in the library system, or check on your library account.
Interlibrary loan is the process by which a borrower requests materials from other libraries. Freeport Public Library has a large collection of materials onsite and shares resources with other libraries through the PrairieCat online catalog. If you are unable to locate an item in PrairieCat, please submit a written request to or call the library. We will search nationwide for your request and notify you when it arrives.
Please ensure that your contact information is up to date when submitting a request and feel free to ask staff members if you have any further questions.
Reserves and holds
You may place a hold on most library items via PrairieCat, the online library catalog. You may also contact the library to reserve an item for you.
- Find the item you want in PrairieCat.
- Click the "Place Hold" button from the Full Details page.
- You will be prompted for your library barcode and Personal Identification Number (PIN), which is the last four digits of your card number.
- Choose the location where you want to pick up your item.
- If you have given us your email address you will receive an email message stating your item has arrived at the pickup location you designated. If you have not supplied an email address, you will receive a phone call. Once filled, your hold will be held for one week.