Submenu contents
Search PrairieCat eBooks and Online Resources Learning LAB My Account FAQs Find us on Facebook American History Series

Library cards

How do I get a library card?

A library card is available to anyone who lives or owns property within the city limits of Freeport. The Freeport Public Library is funded through city property taxes.

To apply for an adult library card, bring verification of your current address and a photo ID. A child's library card is only issued with the signature of a parent or legal guardian. Lost or damaged cards can be replaced for a $1.00 fee.

Non-Resident Taxpayer Card

Individuals who reside outside the Freeport city limits who pay taxes on property within the Freeport city limits are eligible for a card in the name of the taxpayer. The patron needs to present a current tax bill and photo ID. This card is valid for one year.

Non-Resident Card

For those who live outside the Freeport city limits, but are within the Freeport School District and do not support another public library, a non-resident library card may be purchased. The price is calculated annually according to a formula established by the Illinois State Library in lieu of taxes. The non-resident card is valid for one year from the date of purchase. Verification of current address and photo id required.

Reciprocal Borrower Cards

Individuals with a current library card from their local library may borrow materials from our library. If the borrower's library is not within the PrairieCat Online System, an application is then completed, the home library contacted for verification, and a barcode attached to the home library card. Photo ID required.